I love madeleines, they are so moorish and so “sick” as my dear young friend Liam would describe something amazing or so good. As with madeleines like most french pastries, you can create many new flavours as long as you stick to the basics. These little shaped cakes have delighted both young and old over the last 2 centuries, so as always, I thought how can I make a coconut version of these much loved small cakes.
When it comes to pastries, the French bring a kind of je ne sais quoi to their bakes. For example, the person who invented these small cakes decided to bake them in a madeleines pan that lends itself to small leaf shape objects with diagonal lines running from end to end on one side, with a raised dome on the other side. This is just simply genius. The inventor could have made them in a round or square baking moulds, but instead it had to be something worthy of royalty. As simple as they look madeleines are a cut above the rest, and I can assure you coconut madeleines take this french pastry to another level. Enjoy!
This recipe makes between 36 and 48 madeleines.
Chocolate Sponge Layers
- 190g plain flour
- 60g coconut flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g melted butter
- 5 medium eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract paste
- 100g white chocolate
- 35g toasted grated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius fan
- Grease the Madeleine trays with butter
- Melt the butter in a microwave and set aside keeping it warm
- Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together:- plain flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the eggs and caster sugar and add the coconut extract for about a minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg and sugar mix and combine properly, then add the warm melted butter and mix again till all combined.
- Cover the Madeleine mix with cling film and place in fridge for at least 6 hours.
- Spoon the the mix into the Madeleine trays and bake for between 8 and 10 minutes until golden brown
- Once out of the oven transfer straight away to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy or follow the optional steps.
- For the optional steps melt the chopped white chocolate in a microwave in 30 minute intervals until completely melted.
- Dip the madeleines into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
- Set aside for the chocolate to cool.