I remember as a child I loved the scent and flavour of strawberries, back in those days a lovely scent almost meant it will definitely taste amazing. This is not always the case today, the lovely scent does not mean the strawberries will taste good, in fact as the years go by I have bought less strawberries than the previous years. However, when it comes to strawberries, I am still tempted to experiment to create recipes that will hopefully delight my friends and family, hence my Strawberry, Rhubarb and Vanilla pie.
These 3 components are very strong affinities, although you could omit the vanilla and substitute with vanilla ice cream, however there is someone in my family who is not very keen on ice cream so I decided to add it to the pie using vanilla paste and extract to deliver an amazing combo. I have used a lattice topping which very easy to create, but if you find this daunting to create just use a round topping with a hole in the middle. What you need to bear in mind while making this pie, it that it has the tendency to produce excess fluid making the lattice topping a better approach.
As for strawberries, I’ll still be searching for the best flavoured berries with the aim of making this pie throughout this summer so that I could delight my family and friends. Let me know what your favourite summer bakes are, send me a message.
Ingredients for the Butter Flaky Pastry
- 320g plain flour
- 225g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium eggs
Ingredients for the Strawberry, Rhubarb & Vanilla filling.
- 420g fresh strawberries
- 420g fresh rhubarb
- 160g caster sugar
- 60g water
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 40g unsalted butter
Recipe for the flaky pastry
- Weigh out the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and whisk together to combine all the ingredients then transfer to the food processor bowl.
- Cut the cold butter up into little cubes and add to the bowl and pulse for a few times, say up to 6 but not more.
- Beat the eggs together and add it to the processor then pulse again until the pastry comes together. Do not over-pulse such that you don’t loose the butter which is needed to form the flakiness.
- Working quickly transfer the pastry to the worktop, divide into two parts and form discs about 3cm thick so that it is easier to roll out later
- Wrap in cling film and transfer to the fridge to chill for a minimum of 2 hours
Recipe for the Strawberry, Rhubarb & Vanilla filling
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (fan)
- Wash the rhubarb and the strawberries.
- Cut each rhubarb stalk into 2 strips and cut each strip into 2cm pieces.
- Cut each strawberry into 4 pieces, 6 if large.
- Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once boiled, add the rhubarb and remove from the heat allowing the rhubarb to remain in the sugar solution for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes transfer the rhubarb and add the cornflour to the sugar solution whisk together and then transfer back to the heat stirring continuously until it thickens and set aside to cool.
- Roll out the first part pastry and line the pie dish
- Roll out the second part pastry and cut into 1cm strips to form a lattice (help can be found online)
- Once the cornflour paste has cooled add the rhubarb, strawberries, vanilla paste and extract, then combine together before transferring to the pie dish.
- Cut the butter up into small pieces and scatter all over the filling.
- Brush some milk around the edges of the pastry and transfer the lattice topping.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Once baked allow to cool down so that it is warm before serving.